Kadai Murg or simply chicken kadai is basically a north Indian dish but is also very popular in Pakistan and Bangladesh. It is popular for its spicy and delicious taste and the addition of garlic in the end makes it super delicious.
This dish is one of the favorites in my own place as my kids love to have Chicken kadai, I usually add few vegetables like potato, green bell pepper or spinach to make it more healthy for them but the real kadai have only 2 main ingredients that are chicken and tomatoes and is cooked using only one utensil, Kadai.
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cook Time – 25 Minutes
Yield – 4
Difficulty Level – Easy
- 1 whole chicken (kadai cut, 8 pieces)
- 6 fresh ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt as needed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 12 cashews
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander (chopped)
- 3 green chilies (chopped)
- 1-inch ginger piece (peeled and grated)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a kadai and add onion, sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent then take out in a dish and set aside to cool.
- Now take the fried onions in a grinder and add cashews. Grind till fine mixture.
- Now in the same kadai add the remaining oil and add chicken. Cook for about 10 minutes at medium heat with constant stirring.
- Add garlic and dried coriander and again cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add dried coriander and paprika and cook until the spices are golden brown and chicken is half fried.
- Add chopped tomatoes, cover the lid and cook at medium high heat for 6 to 7 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender.
- Uncover the pan and smash the tomatoes carefully so that the chicken doesn’t break. Now cook for 5 more minutes uncovered.
- Finally add the green chilies, grated ginger and the onion-cashew mixture and cook for 2 more minutes.
- When the chicken is ready, take out in a serving dish and garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with Indian Nan’s.