Basically Spicy Aloo Gosht is cooked as a curry which is also very popular not only in India but also in Pakistan and Bangladesh but here I have tried it a bit dry than the usual which turned out to be extremely delicious and mouthwatering.
You may also like:
- Chana Dal (Lentils with Beef Mince)
- Keema Bharay Karelay (Chicken Mince Stuffed Bittergourd)
- Pork Teriyaki Kebabs with Chatpati Chutney
I have used beef as the main ingredient but if you are not a beef lover, you can also try chicken, mutton, turkey or pork and if you are a gravy lover then you must try it with little gravy and enjoy with hot naans.
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cook Time – 45 Minutes
Yield – 5
Difficulty Level – Easy
- 5 potatoes (peeled and cut in halves)
- 2 pounds beef (cut in 1 inch pieces)
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- Salt as needed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Take beef in a deep pan and add enough water to cover the beef pieces. Season with salt and cook until the beef is tender. Add more water if needed.
- In the meanwhile heat oil in a pan and add bay leaf and onion, sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until translucent then add garlic and ginger paste, sauté until aromatic and golden brown.
- Add turmeric powder, curry powder, red chili powder, coriander, cumin seeds, and salt and again cook for one more minute or until the spices are roasted. Finally add tomatoes, cover the lid and cook for about 7 to 8 minutes at low heat.
- Uncover the pan and mash the tomatoes. When the tomatoes are done, add potatoes and yogurt. Again cook for 10 to 15 minutes at medium heat with occasional stirring. The yogurt will release some water but keep on checking the potatoes, if still hard add more yogurt or water.
- When the potatoes are almost done, just about 5 to 6 minutes, add boiled beef and cook on high heat with constant stirring.
- Add garam masala, green chilies, lemon juice and chopped mint and cook for 1 one minutes.
- Take out in a serving dish and serve hot with garlic bread.