Whether it’s a family dinner or a big family gathering, be sure of it that this dish is going to be a perfect choice for your menu. As Beef Haleem is a full-fledge combination of dals (lentils) wheat, rice and beef. If you are a vegetarian, you can also enjoy the great taste of this Beef Haleem recipe by replacing the shredded beef with vegetables.
You can also change the main ingredient beef with chicken and even pork if you like too and can enjoy the mouthwatering taste of this delicious treat for you all.
Prep Time – 20 Minutes
Cook Time – 80 Minutes
Yield – 6
Difficulty Level – Medium
- ¼ cup red lentil (soaked)
- ¼ cup yellow split lentils (soaked)
- ¼ cup white lentils (split in water)
- ¼ cup red lentils (soaked in water)
- 1 cup wheat (whole, soaked in water)
- 1½ pounds beef (cut in cubes)
- 2 onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 tomatoes (chopped)
- Salt as needed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon haleem powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (powdered)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 3 green chilies
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- ½ inch ginger (finely grated)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon (cut in wedges)
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- Soak all of the lentils and wheat for 4 to 5 hours or overnight will be great as it will makes it easy to cook and grind.
- Take all of the soaked lentils and add to the pressure cooker. Add enough water to soak the lentils well. Now cover the lid and after whistling, cook for about 20 minutes at high heat.
- Uncover and take out in a large bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Now in the same pressure cooker add the soaked wheat, cover the lid and cook for about half hour. When ready, uncover the lid and take out the wheat and set aside to cool.
- Now take both the wheat and boiled lentils in a large bowl and grind with and electric hand beater till puree. When properly done, set aside for further use.
- Now take beef in the cooker and add water and salt. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until the beef is cooked enough to shred easily. Take out the beef in a dish and let it cool. Then shred the beef and set aside for further use.
- In the meanwhile add butter to a large pan and heat until melts. Add onion and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Add garlic and ginger paste and again sauté for 1 more minutes.
- Add haleem masala, salt, red chili powder, coriander, cumin, cinnamon powder and cloves and cook until the spices are roasted.
- Now add tomatoes and simmer for about 6 to 7 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender.
- Smash the tomatoes with wooden spatula and then add the shredded beef and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the beef is fully dissolved in the spices.
- Add the grinded lentils and wheat and cook for about 20 minutes at medium low with constant stirring.
- Finally add lemon juice, green chilies and garam masala and cook for 1 more minute.
- Take out in a serving dish and set aside warm.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a pan and add 1 sliced onion. Sauté for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown the add ginger and further cook for 1 more minute. Now top the haleem with these browned onions and garlic and garnish with lemon wedges and chopped mint. Enjoy as it is or with hot naans.