Jalebi is really healthy and delicious sweet dish of India. Its popularity increases on special occasions like Diwali, Eid and Holi when people loves to have different sweets but the best thing about this dish is that, unlike other popular sweet dishes, jalebi needs only a few ingredients and anyone can easily make it at home with the same great taste and aroma.
You may also like:
Try this at home and I can bet you will love to make it again and again.
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cook Time – 20 Minutes
Yield – 4
Difficulty Level – Easy
For Jalebi Coils:
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 tablespoons semolina (but if you can’t find that you can also use rice flour as a substitute)
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon saffron
For sugary Syrup:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ cup water
- 1 tablespoons kewra
- 3 cardamoms (powdered)
- Oil for frying
- Take flour in a bowl and add semolina, baking soda, yogurt and half of the water. Mix well until all the ingredients are fully incorporated and the mixture is fine and without lumps.
- Mix saffron and the remaining water and again mix to have a smooth mixture. Set aside for about 2 to 3 hours until the mixture ferments.
- In the meanwhile heat water for the sugar syrup. Add sugar and mix well until the sugar dissolves.
- Finally add the cardamom and kewra and cook for 2 more minutes covered.
- Check the flour mixture, if it’s properly fermented then it’s completely ready for use.
- Heat Oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Take a pouch with a hole (normally use for cake creams or chocolate) and pour the flour mixture into it. Now make coils in the hot oil to have spiral jalebies and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes with continuous stirring with frying spatula. Change the sides when golden. Don’t overcook.
- Take out the jalebi when it’s crisp and golden and place in a dish with paper towel.
- When the extra oil is absorbed by the paper towel, add the jalebi to the sugar syrup and keep them in the syrup till 2 to 3 minutes.
- Take out from the sugar syrup and serve hot or cold.