Baingan ka Bharta is an extremely popular Indian dish and is very easy to prepare. It is prepared with eggplant and has a very rich and tasty sauce. At an Indian dinner, Baingan ka Bharta is served as a side dish.
- Prep Time – 10 Minutes
- Cook Time – 35 Minutes
- Yield – 3
- Difficulty Level – Easy
- 2 eggplants
- 2 large onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken powder
- 2 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried pomegranate seeds
- Place the eggplants on the grill and if you don’t have one, simply place them directly on the stove to roast it from outside. Change the sides of the eggplants when roasted from one side. When they are done, remove them from the grill and place them in a bowl full of water.
- Let it set for about 5 minutes then take out from the water and slowly peel the skin off. (By placing the eggplants in water, it will make it easy for you to peel off the skin properly).
- Now place the peeled eggplants in a dish and smash with a fork to make a fine paste. By roasting them from outside, they will be easily smashed even with a spoon.
- In the meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and add onion, sauté for 3 minutes or until translucent. Then add salt, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and red pepper flakes, mix and again cook for 1 more minute.
- Finally add chopped tomatoes, cover the lid and simmer for about 10 minutes at low.
- Uncover the pan and smash the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Add the mashed eggplants and chicken powder and mix well. Again cook for about 10 minutes at medium-low with occasional stirring to avoid burnouts.
- When the eggplants are ready to your desire, remove them from heat and take them out in a serving dish. Garnish with chopped green chilies and enjoy hot.