Welcome to the delightful world of Tim Tam desserts! In this guide, we’ll explore the heavenly Australian treat that has captured the hearts (and taste buds) of people around the world. Get ready to dive into understanding the basics of Tim Tams, experimenting with various techniques, and learning how to craft your own delectable Tim Tam-based desserts and drinks. Let’s embark on a mouthwatering journey together!
Table of Contents
Understanding Tim Tam Basics
If you are a dessert enthusiast looking to explore unique sweets from around the world, it’s time for you to dive into the world of Tim Tams! Tim Tams are a popular Australian biscuit beloved for their delicious taste and versatile use in dessert creations. In this guide, you’ll learn about the ingredients, flavors, and history of Tim Tams, so you can confidently incorporate them into your dessert repertoire.
A Brief History of Tim Tams
- Tim Tams were invented in 1958 by Ian Norris, an Australian food scientist for Arnott’s, one of the country’s leading biscuit manufacturers.
- Norris was inspired by the British Penguin biscuit and wanted to create a superior version.
- The name “Tim Tam” is derived from the 1958 Kentucky Derby winner, Tim Tam, a nod to the brand’s goal to be the top in its field.
- Today, Tim Tams are a household name in Australia and have gained popularity globally, with millions of packs sold every year.
Key Tim Tam Ingredients
- The classic Tim Tam consists of two layers of light, crunchy chocolate malted biscuit.
- The biscuits are filled with a creamy chocolate filling and coated in a thin layer of chocolate.
- The chocolate filling adds a touch of richness and creaminess, while the outer chocolate coating creates a smooth, indulgent flavor.
- Tim Tams are made with quality ingredients such as cocoa, butter, and sugar to achieve their signature taste and texture.
A World of Tim Tam Flavors
Over the years, Arnott’s has expanded the Tim Tam range to cater to various flavor preferences and to keep fans excited with new offerings. Some popular Tim Tam flavors include:
- Additionally, Arnott’s has released several limited edition flavors in collaboration with celebrity chefs or to celebrate special occasions.
Tim Tam Desserts to Try
- With their rich, chocolatey flavor and famous crunch, Tim Tams can be used in various dessert recipes to step up your sweet game. Some ideas to try include:
- Tim Tam Cheesecake – Crumble Tim Tams as the base for your cheesecake, and incorporate them into the filling for extra chocolate goodness.
- Tim Tam Brownies – Layer Tim Tams in your brownie batter for a decadent treat.
- Tim Tam Trifles – Use Tim Tams as a layer in individual trifles for an Aussie twist on this classic dessert.
- Tim Tam Milkshakes – Blend Tim Tams with ice cream and milk for a delicious, indulgent shake.
- Don’t forget to try the famous “Tim Tam Slam”: Bite off diagonal corners of the Tim Tam, use it as a straw to sip a hot beverage, and quickly eat the biscuit as it begins to melt from the inside!
Now that you have a solid understanding of Tim Tam basics, from their origin to their ingredients and flavors, you’re ready to explore various delicious Tim Tam desserts and share them with family and friends. Happy baking and enjoy the taste of this iconic Australian treat!
Tim Tam Slam Technique
The Tim Tam Slam is a delightful Australian tradition that involves using a Tim Tam – a chocolate and biscuit treat – as a straw to drink a hot beverage. This experience not only enhances the flavor of the Tim Tam, but also makes for a fun and unique way to enjoy your drink. Follow these steps to perform the perfect Tim Tam Slam:
1. Gather your materials: To begin, you’ll need a hot beverage of your choice (such as coffee, hot chocolate, or tea) and a Tim Tam (preferably, the original flavor).
2. Prepare your beverage: Ensure that your hot beverage is not too hot, as it may cause your Tim Tam to disintegrate quickly before you can finish the slam. Aim for a temperature that’s warm and drinkable.
3. Unwrap your Tim Tam: Carefully remove the plastic wrapping from your Tim Tam to avoid any crumbs or broken pieces.
4. Bite off the opposite corners: Hold the Tim Tam horizontally between your fingers, and take a small bite from one of the diagonal corners. Then, flip the Tim Tam around and take another small bite from the opposite diagonal corner. This will create two small openings on the corners of the Tim Tam, allowing it to act as a straw.
5. Get your beverage ready: Hold your prepared hot beverage in one hand, and the Tim Tam in the other hand.
6. Perform the Tim Tam Slam: Submerge one bitten corner of the Tim Tam into the hot beverage, and quickly place the other bitten corner in your mouth. Suck the beverage through the Tim Tam like a straw, allowing the liquid to flow through the biscuit and absorb the flavors. Be prepared for the Tim Tam to soften and start melting quickly.
7. Enjoy the melty goodness: As soon as you feel the hot liquid reach your mouth, take the entire biscuit out of the drink and pop it into your mouth. Savor the soft, gooey, and delicious Tim Tam as it melts in your mouth.
8. Repeat (optional): If you’d like, you can continue enjoying more Tim Tam Slams by following the same steps with new Tim Tam biscuits. Keep practicing the Tim Tam Slam technique to master the art of enjoying Tim Tams. Share this fun tradition with your friends and family, and delight in the tasty treat together. Bon appétit!
Tim Tam Cheesecake
This Tim Tam cheesecake recipe combines the deliciousness of Tim Tam biscuits with a creamy filling to create a mouthwatering dessert that will impress family and friends. Follow these simple instructions to create your own Tim Tam cheesecake.
– 300g (10.5 oz) Tim Tam biscuits
– 100g (3.5 oz) unsalted butter, melted
– 500g (17.6 oz) cream cheese, softened
– ½ cup granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1 tablespoon gelatin powder
– ¼ cup boiling water
– 200g (7 oz) milk chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
– Optional toppings: whipped cream, extra Tim Tam biscuits, chocolate shavings
1. Prepare a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan by greasing and lining the base with baking paper. Set aside.
2. Crush the Tim Tam biscuits using a food processor or placing them in a ziplock bag and crushing with a rolling pin. The crumbs should be fine and even.
3. Combine the crushed Tim Tam biscuits with the melted butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Ensure all crumbs are evenly coated with butter.
4. Press the buttery crumbs firmly and evenly into the base of the prepared springform pan. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the crust to set.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat thoroughly with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
6. In another mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until fully combined.
7. In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin powder in boiling water, stirring until no lumps remain. Allow it to cool for a few minutes.
8. Fold the cooled gelatin mixture into the cream cheese and whipped cream mixture. Then gently fold in the melted milk chocolate until fully combined.
9. Pour the chocolate cream cheese filling onto the Tim Tam crust in the springform pan. Smooth the top using a spatula or the back of a spoon. Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to set.
10. Carefully remove the chilled cheesecake from the springform pan. Transfer it to a serving plate or cake stand.
11. Decorate the Tim Tam cheesecake with whipped cream, extra Tim Tam biscuits, or chocolate shavings as desired.
12. Slice and serve the cheesecake, storing any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Enjoy your mouthwatering Tim Tam cheesecake!
Tim Tam Brownies
Tim Tam Brownies: Discover the perfect recipe for Tim Tam brownies, combining the deliciousness of the biscuits with rich, fudgy chocolate.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups coarsely chopped Tim Tam biscuits (about 16 biscuits)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 9×9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides to easily lift the brownies out later. Lightly grease the parchment paper with non-stick spray or butter.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and chocolate chips together. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Once completely melted and combined, remove from heat and let it cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add the sugar to the cooled chocolate mixture, stirring until well combined. The mixture may look grainy at this stage, but it will smooth out eventually.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter and chocolate mixture, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the chopped Tim Tam biscuits, reserving about 1/4 cup for topping, into the brownie batter and mix gently.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading it evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining chopped Tim Tam biscuits on top of the batter, gently pressing them down so that they stick.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly moist with a few crumbs. Be careful not to overbake, as this will result in dry brownies.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Once cooled, use the parchment paper overhang to lift the brownies out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Cut into squares and serve.
Enjoy your delicious Tim Tam brownies! Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Tim Tam Truffles Recipe
Yield: 24 truffles
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Chill Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 24 Tim Tam cookies (two 7-ounce packages)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk, or dark chocolate)
- Optional toppings: crushed Tim Tams, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, or sprinkles
- Crush the Tim Tam cookies: Place all 24 Tim Tam cookies in a food processor…
- Combine the crushed Tim Tams and cream cheese…
- Roll the mixture into balls: Using a small cookie scoop or your hands, shape the Tim Tam mixture into balls…
- Chill the truffle balls: Refrigerate the truffle balls for about 30 minutes, or until they are firm.
- Melt the chocolate: While the truffle balls are chilling, melt the chocolate chips using a double boiler or in the microwave…
- Dip the truffle balls in chocolate: Remove the truffle balls from the refrigerator. Using a fork or a dipping tool, dip each ball into the melted chocolate, making sure it’s fully coated…
- Add toppings (optional): While the chocolate coating is still wet, you can add optional toppings such as crushed Tim Tams, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, or sprinkles.
- Chill the truffles: Place the coated truffles back in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chocolate coating is set.
- Serve and enjoy: Once the chocolate is set, the Tim Tam truffles are ready to serve…
Tim Tam Ice Cream Cake
- 2 packs of Tim Tam cookies (Original or your favorite flavor)
- 1.5 quarts of your choice of ice cream (vanilla, chocolate, or any flavor that pairs well with Tim Tams)
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Optional: chocolate syrup or caramel sauce for drizzling
- Allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature for 15-20 minutes, making it easier to spread.
- While the ice cream is softening, line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper, ensuring that the bottom and sides are fully covered.
- Create the bottom layer of the cake by arranging one pack of Tim Tam cookies in a single layer on the bottom of the pan. If necessary, break the cookies in half to fill in any gaps.
- Once the ice cream is softened, spread a layer of ice cream (about half of the ice cream) on top of the Tim Tam cookies, using a spatula to create an even layer.
- Add another layer of Tim Tam cookies on top of the ice cream, once again breaking cookies if needed to fill in gaps.
- Spread the remaining ice cream on top of the second layer of cookies, making sure to create an even layer.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours, or until the ice cream has fully set and hardened.
- When the ice cream cake is almost ready to serve, prepare the whipped cream topping. In a large mixing bowl, combine the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and carefully release it from the springform pan. Transfer the cake to a serving plate.
- Spread the whipped cream topping on top of the cake, creating a smooth and even layer.
- Optionally, you can drizzle the cake with chocolate syrup or caramel sauce for added decoration and flavor.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the cake into slices, and serve immediately.
Tim Tam Milkshake
– 6 Tim Tam cookies
– 1 cup vanilla ice cream
– 1 cup milk (whole or 2% for a creamier shake)
– Whipped cream (optional)
– Chocolate syrup (optional)
– Additional crushed Tim Tams for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare your blender: Make sure your blender is clean and dry before starting the recipe. Plug it in and have it ready on your countertop.
2. Crush Tim Tams: Place six Tim Tam cookies in a sealed plastic bag and use a rolling pin to gently crush them into small pieces. If you prefer a smoother milkshake, you can skip this step and add whole Tim Tams directly to the blender.
3. Scoop ice cream: Measure one cup of vanilla ice cream and add it to the blender. If desired, you can also use chocolate or another flavored ice cream to enhance the flavor.
4. Add milk: Pour one cup of milk into the blender with the ice cream. You can use whole or 2% milk for a creamier milkshake. If you prefer a thicker shake, start with 3/4 cup of milk and add more if needed.
5. Mix in Tim Tams: Add the crushed or whole Tim Tams to the blender with the other ingredients.
6. Blend everything together: Secure the lid on your blender and blend the ingredients on medium-high speed until smooth and well combined. If you prefer a thicker milkshake, add additional ice cream, or if you would like a thinner milkshake, add more milk.
7. Taste and adjust: Check the flavor and consistency of your milkshake by giving it a quick taste. If necessary, add more Tim Tams, ice cream, or milk until you achieve the desired taste and thickness.
8. Serve immediately: Pour the Tim Tam milkshake into a tall glass and enjoy it while it’s cold and creamy. If desired, top your milkshake with whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and some crushed Tim Tams for garnish.
Enjoy your heavenly Tim Tam milkshake and share it with friends and family for a delightful treat!
Homemade Tim Tams
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup milk or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups milk or dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together your softened unsalted butter with granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract into the butter and sugar mixture. Continue mixing until well-combined.
- Slowly add in the dry mixture to the wet mixture, alternating with the whole milk, until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out one half of the dough to approximately 1/8-inch thickness. Use a 1.5 inch x 3 inch rectangular cookie cutter to cut out the Tim Tam shapes. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, switching the positions of the baking sheets halfway through. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the filling by melting the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave in 30-second intervals. Once melted, set aside to cool for a bit.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt until fluffy. Fold in the cooled melted chocolate until smooth and well-combined.
- Assemble the Tim Tams by spreading a layer of filling onto the flat side of one cookie, then sandwiching it with another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
- Prepare the chocolate coating by melting the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl at 30-second intervals until melted and smooth.
- Dip the Tim Tam sandwiches into the chocolate coating, ensuring all sides are covered, and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow the chocolate coating to set and harden before serving. You can store the homemade Tim Tams in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to a week. Enjoy your personalized homemade Tim Tams!”
With all these incredible Tim Tam dessert ideas and techniques, you’re now equipped to indulge in these scrumptious treats in so many unique and enjoyable ways. From mastering the Tim Tam Slam to whipping up your own homemade version of these beloved biscuits, your culinary skills and sweet tooth will thank you. Happy taste-testing and bon appétit!