Chicken Makhani Handi is one of the most delicious chicken recipes amongst all Indian dishes. Here the basic difference is the utensil which is quite obvious by its name, handi (Traditional clay pot). This dish is prepared in an earthenware pot and is cooked in Makhan (butter) that gives it a great taste and aroma.
Chicken Makhani Handi is not only popular in India but you will find it in most of the Eastern countries because of its popularity and delicious creamy taste.
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cook Time – 30 Minutes
Yield – 4
Difficulty Level – Easy
- 2 pounds chicken (cut in small pieces of 2 inches)
- 5 tomatoes
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tablespoons Makhan (butter)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1-inch ginger piece (grated)
- 2 green chilies (chopped)
- Salt as needed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Wash the chicken and cut in small pieces of almost 2 inches in diameter.
- Heat butter in an earthenware handi and add garlic paste. Sauté for 1 minute then add cumin seeds, red chili powder and cinnamon stick roughly crushed with hand, again sauté for 1 more minute.
- Now add chicken pieces and cook for 10 minutes at medium heat with occasional stirring to avoid burning. Cook until the chicken turns golden white.
- Add the tomatoes and salt, cover the pan and cook for about 10 more minutes or until the tomatoes are tender.
- Uncover the handi and smash the tomatoes. Now add cream and again cook until the chicken thickens and the oil comes out.
- Finally add grated ginger, garam masala, lemon juice and green chilies and cook for 1 more minute so that the ginger and garam masala gives it flavor and aroma to the chicken.
- When ready, take out in a serving dish or you can simple serve in the same handi, which will give it a mughal look and garnish with chopped parsley.