Mishti Doi is the most well-known dessert of the Bengalis, and now you can prepare this fantastic dessert at home! Mishti doi is full of flavor and super easy to make. When you eat this mishti doi, you’ll understand why the Bengalis are so famous for their sweet dishes.
Prep Time – 15 Minutes
Cook Time – 120 Minutes
Yield – 4
Difficulty Level – Easy
- 5 cups of milk
- 1 cup grated date gur
- ½ cup crushed almonds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons crushed pistachios (optional)
- 2 tablespoons crushed cashews (for garnishing)
- ½ teaspoon yogurt
- Take milk in a pan and cook until boiling.
- Remove from heat and set aside until cold.
- Add the grated gur, crushed almonds and crushed pistachios and mix well until the gur is completely dissolved. (you can also skip the almonds and pistachios and normally people all over India makes it without that but I have tried this dish with almonds and cashews and trust me it tastes really good).
- Now again heat the milk until luke warm, simply check it with your finger. Don’t over heat, you will need it luke warm at this point.
- Remove from heat and add ½ teaspoon yogurt and transfer to a hot pot, if you don’t have one simply pour into any bowl, cover the lid and finally wrap in a cloth or towel to keep it warm. This step is critical for proper formation of yogurt as you have to let the milk cool down slowly and if you have a hot pot that will make it easy for you and you don’t’ have to cover it with a cloth or something.
- After 8 to 10 hours, open the pot, your sweet yogurt is ready. Garnish with crushed cashews and place in a refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours. Enjoy Chilled.