Here is another variety of rice that you will love to try. Biryani is always delicious to eat. It takes little more effort than the ordinary rice but the final results are always worth seeing.
Here the main ingredients are pork chunks and rice which is cooked in variety of Indian spices to make delicious and spicy biryani rice.
Prep Time – 15 Minutes
Cook Time – 40 Minutes
Yield – 4
Difficulty Level – Medium
- 1½ cup basmati rice
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 pounds pork (cut in 1 inch cubes)
- Salt as needed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 black cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 green chilies (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 green cardamom
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Take pork chunks in a bowl and add salt, black pepper, red chili powder, coriander, cumin seeds, half of yogurt, lemon juice, garlic paste and ginger paste. Mix well until the pork pieces are fully coated and all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Place in a refrigerator for an hour or 2 or overnight will be great.
- Now heat butter in a pan and add sliced onion. Sauté for 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Then add cinnamon stick, cloves, black and fresh cardamom and bay leaf and again sauté for 1 more minute. Take out in a dish and set aside until use.
- Now heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan and add the marinated pork. Cook for about 10 minutes at medium low with constant stirring or until the pork is golden brown and fully cooked.
- Now add the roasted onions cinnamon mixture, turmeric powder and the remaining yogurt into the pork and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Heat water in a large pan and add the soaked rice and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the rice is tender. Don’t overcook; take out the rice 2 minutes before fully cooked.
- Drain out the water and set the rice in a colander to drain out extra water.
- Now make layers in a large pan by placing the rice layer then the pork and onion mixture, repeat the procedure for the rest of the rice and pork.
- Make saffron and milk mixture and pour onto the layered rice and finally top with green chilies and chopped mint.
- Cover the lid with a thin cloth then seal the pan and put something heavy onto the lid to avoid leakage of steam.
- Simmer on very low heat for about 15 minutes or until the rice is ready.
- Take out in a serving dish and garnish with lemon wedges and green chilies.